By signing up for dental insurance for seniors, you can get financial support so you never have to skip an appointment or treatment.
But is senior dental insurance worth it? Absolutely! As you'll see below, dental plans for seniors can be extremely helpful when it comes to reducing out-of-pocket costs, and that's really important for those on a fixed budget.
What does dental insurance for seniors typically cover?
The best dental insurance plans for seniors provide a range of benefits that help reduce the amount of money you need to spend whenever you see the dentist. Senior dental plans vary, but here’s an idea of what's possible:
- Preventive care, such as exams, cleanings and X-rays, covered at 100%
- Basic services, such as fillings and extractions, covered at up to 80%
- Major services, such as bridges, implants and dentures, covered at up to 50%
The right dental insurance for seniors can help you pay for senior dental care, including routine care, restorative procedures and emergency care. Knowing that you have this support can make a huge difference because you won't need to worry about affordability.
What about dental insurance for seniors on Medicare?
If you're on Medicare, you might think that you don't need a separate dental plan, but the reality is that Medicare Part A and Part B don't cover routine dental care. This means that everything from checkups and cleanings to fillings and other procedures won't be covered, so you’d need to pay for them out of pocket.
The exception might be if you need oral care because of a medical condition. In that case, Medicare might help cover some of the cost. Also, if you sign up for Medicare Advantage (Part C), you might be able to get help with dental care expenses.
On the other hand, if you have Medicaid, you might receive some dental benefits, but this depends on the state you live in. If you find that it doesn't cover enough, it is wise to enroll in stand-alone dental coverage for seniors.
What types of senior dental plans are worth considering?
Here’s a basic breakdown of some of the senior dental insurance plans options that are available:
This can be a great choice if you want to receive some level of benefits whether you see an in-network dentist or an out-of-network dentist (you’ll save the most money by choosing providers who are in-network).
This type of plan might be more affordable, but it may come with the restriction that you can only receive benefits if you see an in-network dentist.
Reimbursement or fee-for-service plan
With this type of plan, you’ll need to pay the dentist first and then wait for the insurer to reimburse you for the portion that’s covered. One of the main perks is you can usually choose any dentist.
What should you look for in dental plans for seniors?
Carefully reading each policy's details will shed light on what level of coverage you can expect, as some dental insurance plans for seniors are more comprehensive than others. Also, consider the following:
Plans vary from one insurer to the next, and where you’re located can have an impact on how much a plan will cost. In addition to the monthly premium, look into other out-of-pocket fees that you’d be responsible for, such as a deductible, coinsurance and copay.
Annual and lifetime maximums
Dental plans may have limits, such as an annual maximum and lifetime maximum. These will tell you how much a plan is willing to pay for dental care before you're responsible for the rest.
Coverage for each category of care
There are multiple categories of care, so be aware of the support provided for each. Also, confirm if emergency care, implants, cosmetic treatments and other major services are covered.
What Is the Best Dental Insurance for Seniors?
There are several factors to consider when evaluating whether a dental insurance plan is good for seniors. Here are some key factors to keep in mind:
- Comprehensive coverage: Seniors may require more extensive dental care due to age-related factors, such as gum disease, tooth loss, or dental implants. A good dental insurance plan for seniors should provide comprehensive coverage that includes preventative care, basic services like fillings and extractions, and major services like root canals and dentures.
- Affordable premiums: Seniors are often living on a fixed income, so it's important to find a dental insurance plan with affordable premiums that fit within their budget. Additionally, some plans may have high deductibles or copays, which can make dental care less accessible for seniors on a tight budget.
- Access to a broad network of dentists: A good dental insurance plan for seniors should have a large network of dentists that they can choose from. This is especially important for seniors who may have mobility issues or live in rural areas where dental care may be more limited.
- No waiting periods: Some dental insurance plans have waiting periods before coverage kicks in for certain services. For seniors who require immediate dental care, this can be a significant barrier to accessing the treatment they need. A good dental insurance plan for seniors should have minimal or no waiting periods.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions: Seniors may have pre-existing dental conditions that require ongoing treatment. A good dental insurance plan should provide coverage for pre-existing conditions to ensure that seniors can access the care they need.
Find the best dental insurance plans for seniors at Spirit Dental
We understand how difficult it can be to find high-quality, affordable dental plans for seniors. That’s why we offer Choice and Network plans that can suit your needs and budget.
Here are some of the main benefits you can expect:
We also offer no waiting period dental insurance, so you can get the dental care you need immediately.
Bonus: With a Spirit Dental Senior Preferred Plan, you get the added benefit of hearing coverage for exams and hearing aids. Plus, when you enroll in a dental plan, you can add vision insurance for as little as $7 per month.
Enroll in dental coverage for seniors for peace of mind and savings
Are you ready to enroll in a senior dental insurance plan that will give you what you need so you can see the dentist without worrying about how much it will cost? Contact us anytime to learn more about what we offer or get free dental insurance quotes online to see what's possible.